An abundant supply of clean drinking water and effective wastewater treatment are essential for both individual health and economic growth in rural communities. For decades, CoBank has provided loans to rural water cooperatives, rural water companies and rural non-profit municipal systems, helping them upgrade existing infrastructure, build new water treatment plants and distribution systems, complete GIS mapping and implement automated meter-reading systems.
- $2 billion in water project loan commitments
- 300 water, wastewater and solid waste system customers
- 30 years of supporting the water industry
- 14 dedicated water loan and credit experts
Since CoBank is a cooperative bank, our focus is on supporting the success of our customers, whether they have 1,000 taps or 100,000, rather than delivering quarterly results to stockholders like commercial banks.
- Direct loans, including debt refinancing
- Coordination with government loan programs including USDA’s Water and Environmental Program (WEP), HUD’s Community Development Block Grants (CDBG), and State Revolving Funds (SRFs)
- Short-term construction financing
- Interim financing
- Fixed rate loans with maturities up to 30 years
- Lines of credit
- Quick loan closings, typically within two months
“We use CoBank’s interim financing tool on every project now, because it’s so easy. The bank understands Rural Development, and Rural Development understands CoBank.”
Bill Teichmiller, Chief Executive Officer, EJ Water Cooperative
As experts in the water industry, we’re considered thought leaders and trusted advisors, sharing our expertise in academic and government circles by speaking at industry conferences and weighing in on regulatory issues. An active member of the industry, we also provide financial support to national organizations including the American Water Works Association, National Association of Water Companies and National Rural Water Association, as well as many regional and state rural water associations.