U.S. Dairy Processors Must Be Versatile to Compete in Southeast Asia
By Tanner Ehmke
- U.S. milk production continues to expand faster than domestic demand. The answer to abundant milk is export markets, but serving them requires strategic investment.
- With a growing population and rising middle class, Southeast Asia is the biggest growth opportunity for U.S. dairy exporters.
- With a diverse population, Southeast Asian consumers will demand a variety of dairy products, particularly those that use heat-stable ingredients.
- Other major dairy exporters, specifically Oceania and the EU, face production headwinds, potentially enabling the U.S. to capture market share.
- To successfully compete in the vast Southeast Asian market, the U.S. must work to lower trade barriers while U.S. processors must invest in manufacturing technology to adapt to diverse and evolving dairy consumer needs.
Stay ahead of the game in your field. Subscribe today.
Get CoBank's industry-leading Knowledge Exchange research reports delivered straight to your inbox as soon as they're released.
Have a comment or question about these reports?
Contact CoBank's Knowledge Exchange team to ask questions, engage with analysts or receive additional information.